Friday, August 11, 2006

I'll take Game Show Inquiries for 600...

You know, I was watching Wheel of Fortune the other day (and if you try to deny the greatness of "The Wheel" and, by extension, Pat Sajak, well sir, you're just not fooling anybody). Anyway, this chick won one trip to Greece and another trip to Jamaica* and it made me wonder if they put any restrictions and/or limitations on those trips. Like, how long do you have to take advantage of said trips? 1 year? 2? Maybe they make you leave for the trips as soon as the show is over. And maybe if you win multiple trips then you're forced to "serve" them in succession with no time at home in between. I don't know.

Also, here's a Jeopardy question that I've had for a long time. Contestants obviously have to give their reply in the form of a question, but do the questions have to be appropriate to the clue? For instance, today's Final Jeopardy "answer" was "Though he was already emperor of one country, Franz Joseph was crowned in this city June 8, 1867." And the correct response was "What is Budapest?" But, could I have gotten credit with something along the lines of "How is Budapest?" I'd like to go on Jeopardy and give a bunch of wrong-sounding questions. "Why is an envelope?" "Where is prime rib?" "Who is the earlobe?" Maybe I will someday. I could probably find the rule on Wikipedia or something, but if I knew the answer then I couldn't pose the question. And that's no good.

*actual locations may have varied

2 Comments:

Blogger DREW! said...

I think a better question to ask is, would Trebek allow a contestant to eliminate the interrogative pronouns altogether and answer the "answer" in a one word question. For example:

Trebek: "He was the first Roman emperor to legalize Christianity.

Conestant: Constantine?

And so on and so forth.

August 11, 2006 11:47 PM  
Blogger Amy Butler said...

When I first saw this post I thought the subject was "I'll take Game Show INJURIES for 600."

"What is a shoulder sprain from spinning the Wheel of Fortune?"

August 13, 2006 11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home