Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Who watches the Watchmen.... by himself?

My wife and kids are in Texas this week due to the fact that I'm supposed to be really busy at work for a while. (That's the first time I've used the phrase "My wife and kids" which makes me feel quite strange). However, the particular job that's supposed to be keeping me busy has had several delays so last night I found myself home alone. So I did what any normal person in my situation would do, I went to go see a movie by myself.

I'm not averse to going to a theater by myself- I've done it four times in my life if I remember correctly. Dumb and Dumber in 1995, Blair Witch Project in 1999, Superman Returns in 2006, and Watchmen last night. Anyway, I don't feel weird sitting there by myself and I don't think it's weird when I see someone else who's alone in a movie. I got there last night right before the movie started and I think there were only about 5 other people in the theater. After it ends I walk into the men's room and there's this kid who's maybe 14 years old standing there and he's looking at me with this weird smile on his face, almost like he's smirking at me. I kinda give him a half-smile back and go into one of the stalls because the only empty urinal is the one right next to him. When I come out after a couple of minutes he's standing next to the hand dryer and he's still just smiling at me. And it's the kind of smile that you give someone when you know something and you want them to ask you why you're smiling. But I'm almost positive I've never seen this kid before and I think if I ask him "What's funny?" or "Why are you smiling at me?" it would come across as either defensive or hostile or something like that. So I just wash my hands and kinda nod at him as I leave the bathroom. It left me feeling pretty odd and I guess he must've been in the same theater and couldn't believe I had sat and watched a whole movie by myself. And the whole time that I was walking out of the theater and out to my truck I kinda wanted to go back to the kid and tell him that HE was a loser.

4 Comments:

Blogger bsilverthorne said...

You do.

March 28, 2009 2:38 AM  
Blogger Amy Butler said...

When I was reading this, I really expected the story to end in you finding out that the kid was smirking at you for a specific reason. Like maybe he put a "kick me" sign on your back, or maybe he stuck wet gummy bears on your back.

There is another possibility that maybe you don't want to think about... maybe he was flirting with you. I mean, smirking at a dude in the men's room? Creepy.

Thanks for not making me watch that movie.

March 30, 2009 9:46 PM  
Blogger Amy Butler said...

Also, I think you should type a blog about the time you saw Blair Witch by yourself.

Please?

March 30, 2009 9:47 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I don't talk about that.

April 02, 2009 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home